Any and all information is this guide is subject to change, but we hope to give you some insight as to the best ways to start prepping for… another Psychic type EX Raid boss.
Deoxys Counters in Pokemon GO
This is a list of the best Deoxys counters based on typing and competitive viability. Deoxys is very similar to Mewtwo, so you should already have some of these powered up by the time Deoxys hits raid battles!
*Legacy or soon to be legacy move
If we were to go with the assumption that Deoxys can have any forme to battle with, it becomes hard to try and put a definitive list that would encompass every single counter. However, you have consistent high ranking mainstays that you can count on for every battle, as listed above.
- Just like with Mewtwo, Shadow Claw Gengar can come in to do impressive damage and top the charts, although this means fainting numerously.
- Tyranitar, Shadow Ball Mewtwo, Absol, and Houndoom, in that order for Time to Win (TTW), all make up the core of any team. From Defense Deoxys to Attack Deoxys, they will be solid picks all around for any forme.
- Odd picks would go to Pinsir, Scizor, Banette, and Sharpedo. The likes of Pinsir and Banette actually top the TTW charts against Defense Deoxys, Sharpedo acts as a not-Gengar Glass Cannon, and Scizor is great, but it acts as a more tanky Pinsir.
Deoxys Move sets
As of now, these are the moves that Deoxys has access to in the code:
- Counter Fighting, fast
- Zen Headbutt, Psychic, fast
- Psycho Boost Psychic, charged
- Zap Cannon Electric, charged
- Swift Normal, charged
The only things on this list that may give you trouble are Counter, dealing super effective damage to your poor Ttars, and the Psychic moves dealing some super effective damage against any potential glass Gengars you happen to bring in, although this means it can be resisted by your Mewtwo and Tyranitars. Otherwise, Zap Cannon and Swift are odd move choices on Niantic’s end, and will not do much to your supreme counters. Zap Cannon may pose a problem for those less powerful players using Sharpedo as a Dark type glass cannon, but other than that, these moves should not pose much of a problem.
Deoxys stats in Pokemon GO
Deoxys capture CPs are based on level 20/25 10/10/10 to 15/15/15 IV ranges on each forme, however this is no guarantee that this will actually be possible as we do not know how they will be implemented:
|Min-CP||Max-CP||Min-CP (Weather)||Max-CP (Weather)|
We do have each forme’s stat composition, and we can give a rough estimate on the difficulty of each one to battle:
Deoxys, being a pure Psychic type, will be boosted in Windy weather.
|Weather||Pro Attacker||Pro Deoxys|
|Partly Cloudy||–||Boosts Normal Swift|
|Cloudy||–||Boosts Fighting Counter|
|Rainy||Boosts Super Effective Bug attacks||Boosts Electric Zap Cannon|
|Fog||Boosts Super Effective Ghost and Dark Attacks||–|
|Windy||–||Boosts Psychic Zen Headbutt and Psycho Boost|
Windy weather is what you want to get a boosted Deoxys, but not what you want if you end up having to cut corners to short-man this raid (Unless, fun fact, if it is Attack Forme Deoxys, then you can Solo it with high level counters). [foggy] weather is the supreme counter weather, boosting both Ghost and Dark moves, making your Gengars and Tyranitars even more beastly. This is a rare weather in most parts of the world, especially during raiding hours, so a good substitute is to fight in the Rainy weather, where it boosts the likes of even Pinsir to surpass all other counters in TTW, for certain movesets like Counter/Psycho Boost.
If you do not have access to any of these fine counter above, do not fret, for we have some other recommendations that will still be pretty good against this alien:
- Cacturne with Sucker Punch / Dark Pulse
- Alakazam with Psycho Cut / Shadow Ball (Think discount Mewtwo)
- Good Generalists like Dual Dragon move Rayquaza, Salamence, and Dragonite, Sky Attack Moltres, and Raikou.
- Shiftry with Feint Attack / Foul Play
- Crawdaunt with Snarl / Night Slash
Though very superficial, we can expect prepping for Deoxys to be easy. The only wrench would be if the defense form ends up being put into raids as a boss and has the defense an absolute monster. That would be an issue, a rather familiar, Regi-trio like issue. Assuming that does not happen, we can get excited for a new change in the EX raids! Happy training, good luck getting an EX pass!